Professional Development for CA Adjuster, CFP Certification, Continuing Education Insurance – License & Exam FAQs

What is an adjuster?

Suppose you have ever seen a catastrophe unwind on TV. What if you experienced a flood in your home/business or damaged your car? In that case, insurance adjusters are sent by the insurance companies. They help owners file and evaluate property claims.

Are there different types of adjusters?

There are typically four main types of insurance adjusters, as described below:

  • Independent Adjuster – Insurance companies contract these adjusters . . . usually through a third-party company that has a contract agreement with the insurer.
  • Staff Adjusters – Hired directly by an insurance company
  • Catastrophe Adjuster (CAT Adjuster) – Independent adjusters travel to disaster sites.
  • Public Adjusters – Work for insurance customers, not the insurance companies, to help improve the claim proceeds.
Why should I become an adjuster?

There are many rewards to being an adjuster. It requires a small initial investment. There is minimal education requirement. Best it offers high earning potential. In addition, adjusters enjoy the freedom and flexibility enjoyed by other business owners.

What are the requirements to become an adjuster in California?
  • Minimum Age: 18 years
  • Residency: Under  Ins. Code Section 14029(a)the licensee must run the business. The qualified manager is not required to be a resident of California. They must meet the oversight requirements according to section 14029(a).
  • Entity Types: Individual and Business Entity.
  • Prelicensing Experience/Education: Must have two years of certified experience in the insurance adjusting field. two thousand hours of compensated time in the adjusting field equals one year of experience.
  • Prelicensing Training: Candidates must take an approved 20-hour pre-license training course.
  • Continuing Education: CE requirement of 24 hours. That includes 3 hours of ethics during each two-year license term.
  • Pass the California Adjuster License Exam (that’s what we help you do).
How do you earn the time (internship) necessary to qualify for an adjuster license?

Two ways are typical. One is working for a licensed adjuster who vouchers for your hours. Another is working as a staff adjuster for an insurance company. Applicants licensed as Apprentice Public Adjuster for 12 months will meet the requirement.

What are the steps to getting licensed as an adjuster?
  1. Take our Adjuster License Exam course to prepare for the State License Exam.
  2. Public adjuster license candidates must take a 20-hour pre-license training course.
  3. Schedule the State License Exam at or by calling (833) 518-7456
  4. Pass the State License Exam with a score of 60% or better
  5. Get fingerprinted (available at the testing site).
  6. Apply for the adjuster license with Sircon (the agent handling license for the State) at
  7. Buy an adjuster surety bond for $2,000 (independent adjuster) / $20,000 (public adjuster). Just search California adjuster bond online.
How much does it cost to become an adjuster?

$159 – Adjuster license course for passing the adjuster license exam.

$70 – Fingerprinting can be done at the state examination site.

$79 – License examination fee

$311 – State license fee (suitable for two years)

$200 – Adjuster bond (good for two years).

Anything else that I need to keep my license going?

Licensed California adjusters must complete 24 hours of continuing education every two years.  Don’t worry. We can help you here, too; the cost is only $38.


There is also something called Fair Claims Settlement Certification. It must be completed annually. Don’t worry about this one, either. It comes free with our courses, or you can self-certify quickly, and we’ll tell you how.


It would be best if you renewed your adjuster bond when it comes due.

Is there anything special I need to adjust earthquake claims?

Yes . . . and we have it!  The California Department of Insurance has adopted regulations governing the required training of insurance adjusters in evaluating the damage caused by earthquakes and fair claims handling. Our Earthquake Certification course meets and exceeds these requirements.  How does it work?  Sign up, read our online text, and pass a simple, open-book exam. You will instantly receive your Earthquake Certificate. You will then be eligible to adjust earthquake claims.

How hard is the adjuster license exam - CFP Certification?

The license exam is challenging to pass, even for seasoned adjusters, because of its diversity.  Questions span insurance codes, laws, principles, homeowners coverage, commercial policies, ocean marine coverage, surety (bonds), etc.

The State says there are “no trick questions.” However, many have answers that can be considered wrong. This is because they are based on outdated policy language.


We prepare you for issues like this with hundreds of practice questions and answers. You could read every code. You could look at the State’s adjuster learning objectives. You could even examine countless claims manuals and still need help finding this information. It won’t be easy to do this on your own. And why would you when our fee is so reasonable?

How many questions are on the State License Exam, and how long do I have to take it?

There is a mixture of 100 questions on the license exam. Some are true and false. Some are multiple-choice with answers that may be a specific choice. Other correct answers might be “all of the above” or “none of the above.” A passing score is 60%.


You have 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete the exam.

Why should I choose Affordable Educators to help me prepare for the State License Exam using continuing education insurance online classes?

Affordable Educators has been an insurance educator since 1993.  We have offered an adjuster continuing education for the past eight years. We can now provide you with adjuster license exam training. We do this through our association with California Claims Pro.


CFPCalifornia Claims Pro is an adjuster license school. They have successfully trained thousands to pass the California adjuster license exam since 1996.  Its owner, Pete Otto, was an independent adjuster in Northern California. He handled thousands of claims over many years.


Affordable Educators is pleased to offer and support the California Claims Pro course. It is included with our continuing education insurance classes.  Call us at (800) 498-5100 or sign up at

What is an adjuster?

If you have ever seen a catastrophe unwind on TV, or experienced a flood in your home/business or damage to your car, insurance adjusters are the ones sent by the insurance companies to help owners file and evaluate property claims.

Are there different types of adjusters?

There are typically four main types of insurance adjusters as described below:

  • Independent Adjuster – Insurance companies contract these adjusters . . . usually through a third party company that has a contract agreement with the insurer.
  • Staff Adjusters – Hired directly by an insurance company
  • Catastrophe Adjuster (CAT Adjuster) – Independent adjusters who travel to disaster sites.
  • Public Adjusters – Work for insurance customers, not the insurance company to help improve the claim proceeds.

What are the Educational Requirements for a CFP Certification?

The educational requirements for a CFP certification are two parts. The first step is to complete coursework on financial planning through a CFP Board Registered Program. The second step is to get a bachelor’s degree or higher (in any discipline) from an accredited college or university.

You must complete the coursework before you can take the CFP® exam. You have 5 years from the date you pass the CFP® exam to meet the bachelor’s degree requirement.

What Is Professional Development and Why Is It Important?

Professional development refers to continuing education and career training. This education continues after entering the workforce to help you develop new skills, advance your career, and maintain your certifications.

Many fields require professionals to participate in continuing education. Ongoing learning is often a prerequisite for keeping your job or maintaining your license. Many jobs have specific continuing education (CE) or continuing professional education (CPE) requirements. These requirements must be completed through an approved continuing education provider.

Are you or your company looking for online workplace training and continuing education courses? Contact Affordable Educators for affordable and easy online CE training.

What is continuing education?

Any time you return to studies of any kind to learn something new, you are continuing your education. Continuing education – is an all-encompassing term describing additional formal learning. This training is generally not focused on a college degree outcome. The term is used as the process of refreshing knowledge, skills, and current practices. Continuing education can be course-based or delivered with self-directed, or online, hybrid mediums. Courses are often described in Continuing Education Units (CEU’s).

CFP Certification

prelicense course - p&c license

California Adjuster
License Exam Prep

Unlike other courses, there is NO TIME LIMIT to use materials.
Useful Information
California Department of Insurance Adjuster License Division Contact Information
(916) 492-3085
Need Help?
Give us a call today (800) 498-5100
Call Us Now (800) 498-5100
Emal Us
PO Box 2048 Temecula, CA 92593/span>
Verified by ExactMetrics